The Pullens estate currently consists of five Victorian tenement blocks containing 351 flats, all that remains of a much larger complex of 684 flats in twelve blocks that each had workshops attached to the rear.
The buildings were constructed by James Pullen between 1886 and 1901 and rented privately until bought by compulsory purchase by Southwark Council in 1977. Southwark proceeded to demolish half of the estate, but were met with opposition from the residents who successfully managed to prevent destruction of the remaining blocks. Presently, approximately 48% of the flats are occupied by tenants, while the remaining 52% are privately owned leasehold.
The Pullens buildings are now protected by Conservation Area status. Workshops in the yards are occupied by a variety of artists, craftspeople, architects and small enterprises.